Monday, February 28, 2011

Full Disclosure

This past Wednesday marked the one year anniversary of the day that Mi Cariño and I braved the crazy rain on a Tuesday night, to nervously pick at Arepas (in my case), then quietly heckle at the Nuyorican before saying goodnight with an awkward hug (initiated by me.)

It has gone by extremely quickly - to the point that it takes me by surprise still. I think it's a combination of my schedule (when you travel often days do seem to fly by you) and the easy-ness present in our relationship. She manages to make a weekend in both exciting and comfortable. But for the anniversary, I was surprised with a night out.

We began the day by trying to win Wicked Lottery tickets. I really felt lucky - I made it there just before they closed the entry. I had caught each train on the way over. It was going to happen! But it didn't. I figured we'd go try to see Mamma Mia, the only other Broadway Show that still offers the general public the opportunity to buy somewhat cheap tickets (I'll start that rant later. Actually no, I'll start it now; what the hell Broadway! You've taken off all the General Rush options. Now it's all Student this, Student that. Do you know how much money you would've gotten from me by now if I was able to spend it 30 bucks at a time?!).

Anyway, moving on - Mi Cariño says it's all okay - because we're seeing The Addams Family in the evening. Score! It's nice to be surprised. We celebrated by going to a late lunch in Times Square, and from then on the day was pretty much perfect. Later on in the evening, after watching the show, we had a late dinner at Becco's, an Italian restaurant in Restaurant Row. No pictures for that dinner because we were too busy being lovey dovey to take pics. Suffice it to say that their pre-fixe deal is pretty good: a Caesar Salad or Antipasto paired with three types of Pasta, served table side.

Now, unto the show: I have to admit I was not wowed by it. I can't remember a single song from the night and that tends to be the main way I judge a Musical. The story in itself, was based on The Addams Family TV Show rather than the movies, and being more familiar with the latter it was a bit hard on me. However, the show had no qualms about making fun of itself, which made total difference. Also, there was a great audience present, which can get the actors fired up. One thing I disliked that was very integral to the show: Wednesday was not as dark as Christina Ricci's Wednesday, which: being as Weds. darkness is my favorite part of the movies, it was tough to accept. That said, the actress that played her was great, and has a great voice.

So a new year starts and I'm excited about what it'll bring. It's exciting, knowing all the plans and hopes we already have in place for it. Here we go, yo.

No comments: