Last Post before I head to work!
Arrived in Charlotte, North Carolina, yesterday afternoon. Susan and I had one goal: Barbecue. Our work contact hooked us up with a place, so we knew where to go right away: Mac's Speed Boat or something crazy like that. There are three of them in Charlotte, just search for Mac's. It's ostensibly, a biker restaurant, with an area outside specifically for bikers to park. The regular car folk have to make do with a dirt hill.
On our way to Mac's we asked our hotel receptionist if she knew anything about Mac's. Even though the place was 5 minutes away she said she had never heard of it (My pronunciation may have had something to do with that) and recommended we go someplace else. My co-worker and I wondered about that until we got to the place. Once we in, including the two of us, we realized there were only 4 people of color that we could see. I don't know why I'm always aware of when I'm in the minority - everyone there was super nice to us, with our waiter calling Susan and I baby, and no one doing any of those Hollywood double takes that are supposed to happen when you enter a place you're not welcome in. But Susan was aware too before I mentioned it, so I know I'm not alone in this. We wondered if it had more to do with socio-economic statuses in Charlotte, since Mac's was recommended by a hospital worker, and because the food was in the pricey side (although not NY price.) Regardless, I would be curious to go to a "cheaper" place and see if the atmosphere would be different or the bbq would taste different. But don't let this bit of wondering stop you: this had to be some of the best Barbecue I've had in my LIFE.
First, instead of bread they brought us Hush Puppies. Coors Light cans were on special, so I had me one, too.
Oh, they were tasty. After, I wondered about getting a Brisket Sandwich. The waiter babied me until I gave in and got the full Beef Brisket Plate, with Mac and Cheese, and Collard Greens.
Oh my God, I ate til I couldn't eat anymore. The Mac and Cheese was to die for. The Collard Greens were a little sweet, but still good. The Brisket... oh Sweet Jesus, the Brisket. Sigh, the Brisket. YUM.
If you're ever in this part of town, make a beeline for Mac's. We finished the night by listening to the Parody Kings.
A great way to end the day.
Walked 2.20 miles in 31 minutes at 6:00pm


No comments:
Post a Comment