Monday, August 29, 2011

The Book of Mormon

Been to two shows in a week span - but the first one is barely worth a sentence, much less a post, so I'll group it in with this one. My girls and I went to see "Death Takes a Holiday," an off-Broadway new musical that really, was interesting to watch but that I would not pay full price for. It just kept making me want to see "Meet Joe Black" so that I could look at pretty, pretty Brad Pitt eat peanut butter and say "yes," in that sibilant way of his while looking quizzically around. Netflix does not offer it on Watch Instant. Whatev's. The most memorable part of the musical actually was the guy sitting next to me, that during the second act kept banging himself against his chair, making my chair vibrate uncomfortably. Rude.

In any case this past Tuesday the little Boo felt lucky and went to try once again for Lottery Tickets to The Book of Mormon. I expressed that I would gladly make myself available to attend with her, but that I couldn't make it to the Lottery itself. (Tuesday the Lottery is done earlier in the day.) Just when it was almost quittin' time at work and I was thinking "I wonder how's it going?" I get a text from the Little Boo that says "I won!"

According to my co-worker Gaspy at that moment I did the girliest thing he's ever seen me do, since I just jumped up and down in place while squealing something along the lines of "OMG I'm going, I'm going!" I walked around the office and shared my joy with the rest of my co-workers, some of whom claimed to hate me on the spot because they also wish to see The Book of Mormon but I couldn't let the haterade hold me back. Later, after a quick Pax salad dinner for me, the little Boo and I made our way to the Eugene O'Neill Theater -which if I'm not mistaken also held "Spring Awakening" so I was already feeling happy about the whole deal - and then we realized we were exactly in the center of the first row. Best lottery tickets ever!! We were right behind the orchestra director!

When I got up to put on my jacket I spotted Donald Trump in the audience. It made me wonder who else was in the Theater but thoughts of anyone else went away quickly because the show grabs you from moment one. I literally laughed all the way through, even during the serious, sad-like parts, I was smiling. The secret between this show and say something like Walmart-opia, is that the show was funny, yes, but the music.... the music makes all the difference.

The first number, "Hello," is a layered piece that requires actors to come in at precisely the right time to create the right effect. I love those puppies because everyone has to be on their game to make those work. Plus it was catchy. From then on, I liked all songs but "Hasa Diga Ebowai" and "Turn it Off" are incredibly catchy, full of fun good melody and just laugh out loud lyrics that still make you want to sway to the music. Specially Turn it Off.

Very few shows have a second act that is as strong as the first act, and yes, the second act of The Book of Mormon drags a tiny bit at its beginning, mostly because that's when the deep serious stuff happens, but it picks up quickly with songs like "Man Up" and "I believe," which was the song chosen to be performed at this year's Tony Awards, so I was familiar with it. I loved I believe, and it was the song I was singing along when I left the theater after the show, even though the closing number "Tomorrow is a Latter Day" was just as good.

In conclusion I'll say that I expected the show to be good and it did not disappoint; the writing was strong, the music was strong, and most importantly: although the show purportedly is about making fun of a very specifically American religion, it mocks respectfully, carrying a strong message at the end. I won't spell that out here, because I don't want to ruin it for anyone but let's just say that it was enough to appease my mostly Christian sensitivities, while making me laugh (sometimes at myself.)

No comments: