Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden

You can't visit Richmond, VA without stopping by the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. This Botanical Garden has an interesting story in itself - a niece that bequeathed her land first to her "companion" and then to the city so that they could create a Garden and name it after her uncle. First the city doesn't know what to do and it takes years after the companion's death before they're able to create and institute the Garden, and oh boy, did they institute! They use the place for everything: outdoor concerts, places for the elderly to volunteer, classes for children and adults... it's a pretty cool place, indeed.

We got to look around during lunch and after work. Some picture highlights:





I think that orchids look like aliens. I'm just saying.

After we drove around in search for a new place to eat. I didn't write down were we went, so you only get pictures of the food. Don't worry, you won't miss much if you don't go there. First: fried green tomatoes:


They were not good. Not at all reminiscent of Idgie and Ruth and all that goodness. I spoke with Mary Lee and she told me I'm not supposed to ever eat Fried Green Tomatoes north of Alabama or something like that.
I also had what promised to be an interesting burger, with cheese and grilled pineapple, as well as sweet potato fries.

I was very disappointed with dinner. The good news is that I ate less, so in a way, it helped my diet. Silver lining, y'all!

No comments: