Saturday, March 17, 2012

Touristin'

On our last day in Richmond, we tried to get it all in. As soon as work finished, we hightailed it to the Capitol Building.

It's a beautiful structure, and we climbed all the steps to the top before we saw the little sign that said that the entry was now at the bottom of the hill.

The security people were very nice though, and let us in even though they were 5 minutes away from closing time. We even had a tour guide take us around! He was very knowledgeable, but I guess that's his job to be.

After getting our history on, we headed to the downtown area, to Weezie's Kitchen - don't forget it's St. Patrick's Day and it needs to be celebrated! Actually I had completely forgotten it was St. Paddy's, but it was nice to see all the green. Weezie's is almost like a diner, and I was not wowed by their service (or their prices) but their food was okay. I chose the Meatloaf, smothered in mushrooms and gravy, with a side of mashed potatoes and veggies.


After we ate our fill, we walked down the street to the Byrd Theatre. This place is great: tickets are 2 dollars, always, and they have an organist that does a little show before the movie starts.


We also had the chance to see a local dance school do a special St. Paddy's day show, with their students doing traditional Irish Dancing. Had no idea there was a big Irish population in Richmond (or at least big enough to warrant an Irish Dancing School.)

To support the theatre we bought some appropriately sized popcorn, and attempted to enjoy The War Horse. That was tough. I think I really would've enjoyed it as a play, but as a movie it felt way too long and complicated.

To reward ourselves for sitting through that entire movie, we enjoyed some of Bev's Homemade Ice Cream across the street from Byrd. I chose a "Girl Scout" Cone: Samoas!


All in all, Richmond was a great place to visit. A short visit.

No comments: