Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Crossroads


So, back in February I applied to the Silberman school of social work at Hunter College. After almost three years of working at StoryCorps, I started looking for the next step, what was going to happen next. Today, I interviewed at Silberman. Silberman is the only school of social work that actually interviews its applicants.
About 9 of us were in this room with one of the Silberman professors. We talked about ourselves, trying to sell our experience and making it sound like we were great for Social Work. I was nervous as hell, hearing all of the other applicants talk about their experiences and their psychology and sociology degrees. I tried to keep telling myself that this was a room full of potential social workers - they'll be nice, right?
And everyone was nice, really, although the experience was still nerve wracking. I was pleased that the professor had heard of StoryCorps, and it made me feel validated. I feel like I presented myself in a professional manner... hell, I dressed up and everything! Silberman is not at the old 68th street Hunter campus, which I'm glad about - everything was new and shiny since they've only been using that building for a year.
I don't know. I don't know if they'll let me in. I don't know if I want to be in. This could completely change my life.

No comments: