Saturday, May 26, 2012

That's So Raven!

So, Mi Cariño's closest friend Kristie and her love Emily are in town - which is a great excuse to not do anything work related today, as it's a long weekend! Well, for regular people. I'll be working on Memorial Day, but that's no reason to not enjoy today!

We got up around 7am, which is pretty early for a Saturday, and took the subway to the Great White Way - we wanted to get cheap tickets to see "Once" on Broadway, which I've been dying to see, and it happens that it's one of Emily's favorite movies too. I figured 8am arrival would be okay, although secretly I wanted to be THERE at 7. But since I needed Mi Cariño with me, and the last time I made her wait in line at a Broadway cheap ticket line the 7am arrival wasn't needed, I compromised and moved it up one hour. I wish I had had the wherewithal to take a picture of the line when I arrived! Days with matinees get a long line, but there were at least 30 people ahead of me. And there was no way to know if everyone was interested in one ticket or two. So, Mi Cariño and I decided to go for a sure thing and we walked over to Sister Act, which is another musical I've been wanting to see, but not something that was really a priority.

Regardless, we got there with barely people on the line, and we scored sweet cheap tickets on the first row, smack dab center. The main character would be played by Raven Symone, and so we figured, eh, it would be fun! And it was. Somewhat. We got matinee tickets, arrived just in time for show to begin, and enjoyed Raven's acting - her style suited the slapstick thing the show had going. The problem: the songs were all original. They didn't sing any of the awesome renditions used in the movie. And to make matters worse, the original songs weren't that great: they lacked that whole gospel-y but hip thing that the songs from the movie have. It was good for a laugh, though, and it was nice to be right there.

After the show, we made our way down to Union Square even though it was pouring, so that we could eat at S'Mac. I got a surprise Mac'n'Cheese, since I had a moment of disconnect from when I was looking at the Menu and voicing what I wanted. This thing had figs in it and what not. But it was good and tasty nonetheless.

No comments: