Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sleeping Tours

Not very often do I get a local (that I actually like) to get to show me and my co-facilitator around when we travel. And this one's a psychic, to boot! Last night Carolina and I were chaperoned by Irene, who is all kinds of sweet. She drove us down to Old Town in San Diego, to eat at the aptly named Old Town Mexican Cafe and Cantina.

We began the night by admiring the ladies that work towards the front of the restaurant, who are kneeding masa to make fresh tortillas for our meals.


We started with some House Margaritas and your ever present chips and salsa. For my main meal I chose to eat the Carne Asada Tacos.

The tacos were tiny - and that was just the right size. The corn tortillas are so filling and thick! My tacos came with salsa verde and beans, and I have to tell you, simplicity made all the difference. I ate those babies and was soon ready to be rolled back to my hotel room. I wholeheartedly recommend this place - they had a mariachi trio walk around playing songs on request. And Michelle, our cute server, was super efficient. Service makes a difference, y'all!

Irene, however, offered to take us back through "the scenic route." I do not know how scenic the route was because after I sat down, Irene handed me her shawl so that I could cover myself and then I promptly fell asleep. I woke up a couple of times during the tour - saw the Coronado bridge in its full night time glory. Then I fell asleep again but woke up in time to marvel at the pretty houses in El Barrio and to gawk at the wonderful building that houses the police station one of our participants founded. A period of sleeping followed that and then we stood in front of the San Diego Trolley, where I remember Carolina asking many, many questions. Eventually Irene realized I was tired, and still in NY time, and thus drove us back to our car so that we could head towards the hotel.

So last night two things became apparent to me: I eat a lot of Mexican food. Specially when out on the road. And two, I have the gift to fall asleep and wake up very quickly. Like I can be fully conscious and aware and talking one second and asleep the next. Maybe it's a superpower. Yeah.

No comments: