Easily one of my favorites of the series, Prisoner of Azkaban, though larger in page count than Books 1 and 2, is just as easy and fast of a read. In this book, Harry's story really starts feeling like a series... events are evolving slowly, leading us somewhere.
Short summary: Sirius Black escapes Azkaban, the Wizard Prison. Purportedly a big supporter of Lord Voldermort, Black killed Peter Petigrew and 12 others after little Harry Potter defeated the Dark Lord. Everyone thinks he's after Harry.
In this one, Rowling introduces the awesome character of Professor Lupin, explores further the deep hatred of Professor Snape for Harry's father and his gang of friends (and we learn that Lupin, Black, and Petigrew were that gang.) Hermione (very helpfully) bites more than she can chew, Hagrid becomes the professor for Care of Magical Creatures, and Hogsmeade is introduced. I think with this one, Rowling does a great job of pacing herself, and of aging Harry, Ron, and Hermione accordingly. At 13, Harry and Ron although more aware of their surroundings, still think of themselves and sports first. Allegiances are still Boys vs. Girls, with Hermione choosing Harry's safety over The Thunderbolt and Ron holding Hermione responsible for the death of his pet rat Scabbers.
I don't know if Rowling really expected Book 1 Scabbers to have always been Peter Petigrew in disguise (spoiler!) but she sure did a great job of integrating his presence into the storyline. It was also a nice break from Voldemort being "the baddie" of the story. Reasons why I like this book so much: Harry feels the first pangs of interest towards Cho Chang. Ron, although super angry at Hermione, begins to show his interest and care - being the one always wondering how she got to all her classes, while Harry only wonders about it perfunctorily towards the end of the book. The Marauders Map (although I have to say Prongs is a horrible nickname, but feh), and the beginning of the story of young Snape vs. the Marauders.
Things I don't like: I hadn't noticed how much I disliked the way the Dursleys were described in the books. I mean, they are created as truly despicable creatures all the way through, but I really wish Aunt Marge had a good reason to despise Harry so much, to the point to blatantly insult him and his family so much. I somewhat understand the Dursleys - they felt put upon to care for him, and before his arrival already disliked him and his parent. But Marge acts like the thing is personal, yo! I understand, though, that it was a necessary plot in order to get Harry out of the Dursley's place, but still. They are pretty one dimensional in that sense.
All in all, in reading this one, I feel like I really am starting to read the books, with the other two being more "backstory" and "preparation" than anything else. Now is when the fun starts.
No comments:
Post a Comment