This is a tough one - it's my favorite book of the bunch. But after seeing the movie adaption I'm kinda in love with the next one, which is a funny thing to say because the books are not the movies, but whatever y'all!
I love this book the most because it's the book when I feel Harry comes of age. Let me explain - Harry, at 15, was a total pain in the butt, as most 15 year-olds are. He deserves to be annoying. But then he experiences the death of the closest thing he has to a parent, and feels guilty of his death, and reaches a point where Dumbledore is ready to trust him more. And so, he calms down and becomes the guy that attempts to think things through and to help right away instead of sulk. He is, in fact, becoming the savior the boy who lived needs to become in order to beat Voldermort.
Of course, when people talk of this book they go crazy over the romance - Harry and Ginny, Ron and Lavender, Ron and Hermione! I just like that the book is obviously the little breather before the awesome epic finale, that Harry gets to be happy and we get to see it - too often, that piece of joy gets saved for the last paragraph of the series/books. I did have to finally accept the Harry and Ginny romance, although I'll admit that there's still that tiny bit of me that wants Harry and Hermione together.
The big question in Half Blood Prince is of course, Snape and Dumbledore. Dumbledore's death, after I finished reading the book, felt very unnecessary, and that it had been Snape, whom I secretly always liked, was tough. Rowling did a great work at always making Harry and Snape hate each other - but did a great job at including little clues to let us know there was something going on under that curtain of black hair. Oh, Snape.
No comments:
Post a Comment