So, I'm stuck in New York City until the middle of July - this could be really good. I hope it ends up being a really good thing, in any case.
Work sent us out to the Upper West Side, Morningside Heights to be exact. Work was long and strenous, so no time to go outside for lunch, but Carolina and I decided to treat ourselves to dinner before going home. Besides, Matt severely insisted that we stop by this place, as he loves it dearly, and if there's one thing I trust is Matt's culinary's recommendations. Enter la Taqueria y Fonda, La Mexicana on Amsterdam.
Real hole in the wall place. Has a tiny kitchenette area out front, and a couple of tables towards the back. A TV was set to the news in Spanish and we sat down next to the big fridge. They brought us great home made chips with three delicious salsas to munch on while we deliberated on what to eat. In the meantime, several "neighborhood characters" stopped by to scream a little, ask for some change, and to remark that 6:30 was not too early to be drunk. I chose the Vegetarian Quesadilla.
Carolina was kind enough to eat the mash avocado that was on top of the tortilla before I took the picture. The vegetarian Quesadilla was delicious - made out of three corn tortillas, it was stuffed with, yes, cheese, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, lettuce, caramelized onions, and possibly more goodness that I just can't remember. Picture me moaning with the happy for about 20 minutes. When we finally finished and paid for our meals, it took us a good five minutes to find the strength to get up and leave. Then we made the decision to walk an extra 5 city blocks to the nearest subway, since we were both just too full to consider sitting down. All in all, not a bad way to end what proved to be a challenging work day.

No comments:
Post a Comment