Friday, June 4, 2010

Somnio's Cafe

Thursday in Austin! My body hasn't been cooperating, and sleep: not so good the past couple of nights But I worked and worked hard, as I'm wont to do, in this case until 8pm. I learned something though, while working at the Austin History Center. Wanna know what it is? I'll show you!

You're thinking "pretty" right? Or interesting? Let me give you a close up.


Yup, you read that right. That there is a little exhibition from the Texas Barbed Wire Collectors Association. The little signs under the different types of barb wire detail the name of the creator, the name of the wire specifically and when it was patented, as well as who donated it. But most importantly, you didn't know there was a Texas Barbed Wire Collectors Association, did ya? Because you thought there was only one barb wire and that is barb wire! It's okay. I didn't either. Thank you, Austin History Center!


In any case after work Matt, Natalia, Ben, Virginia and I put ourselves in the hands of Bill, Matt's friend, who suggested we'd go to Somnio's Cafe. And so we did.



Little tiny place. Since it had been raining and the tables in the yard were wet we stayed inside. Appetizers all around! Enter the Spicy Shitake Pan Fried Dumplings.


And Sweet Potato Fries


People, let me tell you two things I love: Sweet potato fries, and dumplings. These made my belly sing. Since Somnio's is BYOB we brought along some local blonde ale.


And it was much better than the Bootlegger Brown Ale that they drank at the other side of the table. Finally, my entree was the Spicy Singapore Vermicelli Bowl, with Tofu. That consisted of stir-fried carrots, onions, egg ribbons, vermicelli, green onions, cilantro, and a yellow curry sauce. (YUM coconut milk!)


My puny camera does not make that meal justice.

After all of that I requested to be rolled over to my room and skipped the rest of the evening's plans. Yup, I went to bed at around 10:45 pm. Deal with it people! Listening may be an act of love, but it is also draining. Friday Pride starts in Austin, and if it weren't for some plans I have in NYC I would be changing my flight so that I could see their Parade on Saturday Night. In the meantime - to listen some more.

No comments: