Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hungover Movie Day

We celebrated Stephanie's Birthday on Friday night. Saturday then became recovery day, since we certainly celebrated heartily. We began by having diner food, but that stuff was so horrid that I refuse to put it here. Plus, I didn't even take pictures. Because it was so horrid.

After that we made it to Times Square to watch Bran Nue Dae (this image does not belong to me.)

The movie was awesome. A musical set in 1965 about a young Aboriginal boy who escapes boarding school to return to his hometown of Broom. Right up my alley. The thing was a total romp, with several catchy songs, and with a main actor who is all kinds of cute. Plus Geoffrey Rush is in it. Why aren't you running to watch it?

Afterward we made our way around the city, mostly walking, running errands, and then decided to watch Go the Distance in the Upper East. This RomCom with Drew Barrymore and Justin Long was very cute, a little bit raunchy, and with a pleasing ending. The soundtrack was to die for, but I expect that from D.Barrymore flicks. Her chemistry with Justin Long was pretty good but of course in the back of your mind you keep thinking that they were broken up when they did that movie so it's kinda weird, having to kiss your ex. And make it look good to boot. The questions the movie brings up are not new one's - what do you do when your personal professional life doesn't really mash your personal life? What do you do when the two of you have to live in different places? There are no easy answers. Some people think it's best to sacrifice everything for a relationship. Others opine that if the relationship is meant to work it'll survive the distance or a breakup. I think it's a case-by-case thing, you know? Blanket statements don't really work well in these situations.

Movie was followed by a walk to an Argentinean/Italian restaurant in the Upper East and I sadly do not remember the name right now. I'll search for it later. Their food was ok - we began with some bread with eggplant (instead of butter, which I LOVED)

We shared some croquetas de papa, that were cheesy and perfectly sized, unlike the monstrosities I grew up with

My entree was battered chickend in a lemon butter sauce with veggies

The veggies were perfect, not drenched in oil but light and tasty. The chicken was a whole different business - first it was too hard, and then it was too lemon-y. The lemon butter sauce was good though, and went well with the veggies, which is mostly what I ate.

All in all, a very good Saturday, spent with Ida and Mi CariƱo. The weather even cooperated, giving us good crisp air all day long. We finished the night by walking home. Yea. At the risk of jinxing it, I can't help but think that Life is hella good at the moment.

No comments: