And then I showed her this picture (which I also do not own):
and with inspiration taken care of, Mami went to work! First we decided that I wanted solid black and she figured the material and a little something something to spice up the ensemble.
She butchered the first dress by cutting up the top part, and the second dress, since it was a floor length full sleeved number, she made shorter and cut off the sleeves and a new neckline to match the times.
From Rose, I borrowed a bracelet, a ring, a cigarette holder (that I ended up not using since I had so many things in my hands already), black gloves. I walked all of Knickerbocker in order to find the fake pearls.
The rest of the costume was taken care of by rummaging through the house. A notebook handbag (white), the killer shoes had a higher heel than I wanted (since women usually wore the two inchers back then), but they were the only closed toes sandals I had hiding in my closet, and they had a buckle diamond embellishment that went well with the diamond embellishment Mami had sewn into the dress. I added some white stockings to complete the black and white theme and Presto! You can call me Penny Cheatum. Yay Mami!
I have to admit though, that getting ready was the most fun part of the whole deal. The party in itself? It was okay - I only knew about 5 to 6 people in the room, and having to walk around making up stories and small talk about fake people and fake events can be draining. Murders kept happening but I don't think my mind was really into figuring out whodunit. (It was the money hungry daughter who done did it, by the way.)
Afterwards, however, Mi Cariño (who was Scoops Jennings, a female journalist that dressed like a boy in order to be a journalist) and I were ready for some food, and so we made our way to what we're trying to make "our Diner" - for the next few months at least.
I had me a grilled cheese sandwich under a mountain shoestring fries.
which was a perfect way to say see you later Roaring '20s! I had a blast!



No comments:
Post a Comment