Once work was finished in Mobile, we immediately drove to New Orleans, LA. The ride wasn't so bad, and Lauren is a pretty good and confident driver, so it was easy street in that department. Quickly I got in touch with Mary Lee, who took me to Mandinas - a really old New Orleans style restaurant that's been around for more than a 100 years. It had a great atmosphere, essentially the first level of a house gutted out to make space for the restaurant.
We started with some fried eggplant, which y'all know is my favorite vegetable.
Since it was Monday, Red Beans and Rice had to be had, and I figured I'd share Mary Lee's Gumbo. I topped off the beans and rice with Italian Sausage.
After dinner we drove around, picked up Mary Lee's girl, then headed to Columns Hotel to just chill out. It's a hotel, a huge ass house/mansion essentially, with yet another first floor gutted out to make space for a restaurant/bar. I had me some Abita Amber.
And because, apparently, one can't go to New Orleans without having some Beignets, sometime around 11pm we made our way to Café du Monde.
The whole town had a very New York feel - in the sense that it seemed like everyone was out and about at almost midnight on a Monday night - but the low houses, the verandas, the colorful storefronts, not to mention the narrow streets reminded me I was not home. I really enjoyed it though - although I'm not much for going out that late at night, what I like the best, is the possibility.
We started with some fried eggplant, which y'all know is my favorite vegetable.
Since it was Monday, Red Beans and Rice had to be had, and I figured I'd share Mary Lee's Gumbo. I topped off the beans and rice with Italian Sausage.
After dinner we drove around, picked up Mary Lee's girl, then headed to Columns Hotel to just chill out. It's a hotel, a huge ass house/mansion essentially, with yet another first floor gutted out to make space for a restaurant/bar. I had me some Abita Amber.
And because, apparently, one can't go to New Orleans without having some Beignets, sometime around 11pm we made our way to Café du Monde.
The whole town had a very New York feel - in the sense that it seemed like everyone was out and about at almost midnight on a Monday night - but the low houses, the verandas, the colorful storefronts, not to mention the narrow streets reminded me I was not home. I really enjoyed it though - although I'm not much for going out that late at night, what I like the best, is the possibility.






No comments:
Post a Comment