You know what I like? Old Novels, where the chapter title is somewhat a summary of what will happen. "Chapter IX in which our heroine discovers a terrible secret." Just so y'all know.
So Lily and I finally get our act together and she comes into town for a one day visit. 4 hours is a long time to travel for just a day without specific plans, but we made it work. After running some errands with my mother, the day began with a stop at Gemini Diner in Kips Bay where we had chicken salad triple deckers, which I haven't had in ages and ages, it feels.
Not quite as delicious as I remembered it, but still the best chicken salad and cole slaw in the city. Afterward we went for a walk and searched Baskin Robbins for Lily's favorite flavor, but we couldnt' find it. What we did find:
Although the awning was brand new, the store looked closed, so we never did find out what they sell at insomnia cookies. We also bought ourselves some ice cream but you don't get pictures of those cuz we stuffed our faces and I forgot to take a picture, so there. (If you must know I had chocolate chip cookie dough.)
For the rest of the day we literally walked around the city, just enjoying the people watching and the beautiful weather. We did some shopping, watched 50/50 which we both loved, and a whole lot of walking.
We capped the day with the cashing in on a deal that Lily had at Alma 33, Argentinian restaurant in West 8th. Dinner had a weary beginning when the restaurant called to let us know that they weren't serving their full menu, but only the Tapas or Picadas part. We decided to still go. We began the meal with some red sangria:
some really hard bread that I didn't really enjoy but yet gulf down since I was starving
Our Tapas began with some Pintxos de Entrañas, which is just steak skewers with salsa chimichurri
followed with chicken and spinach empanadas
Patatas bravas
and Miga con Chorizo
Dessert was this pudin thing drenched in creme and what not. Make your assumptions at the fact that I can't remember the name.
I was terribly underwhelmed with this meal - the patatas didn't have anything brava about them, the entrañas were okay, and their chimichurri sauce did not deserve the name chimichurri, but that's mostly because I have really good connotations with that word and this sauce is not it. The best of the picadas was the Migas con Chorizo and that's literally a mix of chorizo and mayo spread on Migas bread. Lily liked the Entrañas the best. To boot the restaurant was a little hot, and it made us be very aware of the time we spent there.
Regardless, the company and the conversation made dinner a good affair, and we left with a smile. I won't be returning here, but I'm glad we tried something new. Lily and I made it back to my place, to do some talking, and some immediate falling of the sleep after a day of walking around in the City.









No comments:
Post a Comment