Monday, January 16, 2012

Land of Lewis & Clark, Day 1

So, I managed to drive from Spokane, WA all the way to Weippe, ID - it took exactly 3.5 hours, fact I'm very proud of because it means I actually drove slightly above speed limit for the 170 miles we covered. Mariel took a picture while I drove:

It was very scary, but I kept at it. I guess it's true what they say about it being a bit easier the more you do it. But I really have no desire to that again. I'm glad I drove on the way in, because if I had seen the kind of places we were driving by I wouldn't have made it. I'm talking hairpin turns down and up a freaking mountain.

Once in Weippe I realized that the place was even smaller than I imagined: there was one main street, sure, about two bars, two restaurants, one gas station, one grocery store, and the library where we would be recording. Of course, there wasn't an actual hotel to stay at, but the town did have a trailer park with some cabins. Although there was no snow in Spokane and some snow on the way, Weippe was completely covered. Here's my cabin

I can't convey how tiny this thing was: one full size bed against one wall, with bunker beds on the other side. There was a tiny kitchenette with a microwave, tiny fridge, sink and cupboards. A small bathroom, and the tiny heater behind the bed bunks. The entertainment came in the form of a tiny tv with a vcr built in, and a bunch of movies - really, really old movies.



The pictures don't do the place justice - I wasn't able to really take a picture of the room since it was too small. The hard part is the silence though... the only sounds were the cars driving by sporadically.

One of the two restaurants in town was closed, and so we had our choice cut out for us. And so we went to Mechell's Cafe. Mariel and I chose to have grilled cheese.

It was as good as a grilled cheese sandwich can be. The fries not so much. We also went there for dinner, and I had me a taco salad.

I was very tired after, but it was still hard to fall asleep... the silence was a bit oppressing, plus it started to snow a little at night. Here goes day one!

No comments: