Monday, January 16, 2012

Not a single sighting of Sherman Alexie

So, going to spend a week in the Northwest, specifically on Weippe, ID. In order to get there from New York, though, Mariel and I had to fly first into Seattle, then to Spokane in Washington to spend the night. It snowed a little last night, and the air feels cold as hell (15F as I type), and the snow is coming. I'm going to have to drive, which y'all know I love (not), and I'm starting to freak out about it.

So, in order to relax a little, and since I've been up for HOURS, I went to the hotel's gym for a bit of a walk. I walked 2.40 miles in 48 minutes. After a quick shower, I decided to keep it simple and headed for the hotel's restaurant.

View from my table:

I loved the mist moving over the water the best. Also, I saw someone running past. Crazy ass runners.

The good thing about "working out" before breakfast, though, is that it (mostly) keeps me from trying to eat my weight in sugary carbs at breakfast time. I wanted something hardier than instant oatmeal, though, because I don't see me stopping often while driving to Weippe for lunch and what not. I decided for "Jo's Breakfast Bowl."


It had skillet potatoes, light jack cheese, light cheddar cheese, spinach, grilled mushroom slices, onion, with scrambled egg whites and fresh pico de gallo salsa. Topped that with whole grain buttered toast. Alright, so the thing wasn't super healthy or anything, but it's infinitely better than pancakes, or a bagel with cream cheese. The hardest part really was not to eat it all; I was already full halfway through it, since I tried to put my fork down between bites, and I had had a cup of warm water with lemon before eating. It was so hard to not eat it all even though I felt full! I kept trying to trick myself by saying that if I ate more it would be longer time between meals, but was able to leave behind a full slice of toast and about 30 percent of the meal. However involved the thing is, I can see me cooking this for breakfast.

In any case, now to pack and get ready for Weippe!

No comments: