Tuesday, August 17, 2010

All Y'all Come Back Now!

Things that I learned while in the south. Y'all and All Y'all are not the same thing. Well, I actually learned this in the North, but my southerner boss taught me it. Y'all means you. All Y'all means, well, you all. Funny.

In any case, our partner decided to take us out to lunch to thank us for the hard work and we gladly accepted. She took us to Schilo in downtown San Antonio, where they serve German and American food. They're also pretty famous for their root beer, so I decided to forego my usual glass of water with my meals and tried one. They come in frozen mugs.

My lunch consisted of Tuna Salad (with lettuce and tomato) on a Croissant with some chips and hot german potato salad.

It was cheap and it was good, and I'm sure that if I had chosen one of the "famous plates" I would've enjoyed it more. As it was, the root beer was too sweet (and being that I'm Dominican, that's saying something) and the potato salad / tuna salad were nothing to get too excited about. But I think the place would merit a "going back to try new things" if I were staying in San Antonio longer.

After work, and since we're leaving San Antonio tomorrow morning, we figured we needed to go for the other Texas mainstay: Barbecue. We chose The Barbecue Station, and had to really drive around in order to get it. It was worth it.
You're welcomed by a counter, and this massive barbecue pit. I wish I could've seen inside.

I chose the lean Brisket and chicken combo, with string beans and coleslaw and wheat bread, and some lemony water to wash it all down with.

It was my first time having Brisket and I dare say it will not be my last. OMG that was delicious! I quite enjoyed it. The chicken I wasn't too much a fan of, since I ended up with dark meat and I'm not much of a fan, so I gave most of it to Gaspar.

After BBQ we stopped by Amy's Ice Cream, for some Mexican Vanilla dipped on chocolate fudge. I forgot to take a picture, but trust, the stuff be good.

It was getting late and so we decided to squeeze one last thing in before going off to collapse in our rooms: The Alamo! Here I place Gaspar in front of the "Heroic Monument" (whatev's) in a classic touristy pose.
Around the corner I made him pose as if he was peeing. Hey, if Ozzy Osbourne could do it, so can Gaspar!

All in all San Antonio has been a blast. Oh, I almost forgot: I drove this morning! a 15 minute drive to work. I know, will wonders ever cease? See you soon from El Paso!

No comments: