Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Say Goodbye to Texas

After a kind of slow recording day, we were finally done with work. We celebrated by finally giving in to my week long craving for a burger. And no better place to give in to cravings than at Crave Kitchen and Bar. The place is very neat, with a huge chalkboard wall displaying the menu and specials, and huge ceiling to floor mirrors when you walk in that almost made me smack myself. And, it is also decorated with utensils falling from the ceiling - it's quite the interesting effect.

We began by sharing the Spinach and Artichoke Dip. It was delish. I forgot to take a picture.

My main course was the Crave Burger, which consists of 1/2 pound of black angus bathed in a homemade Guinness steak sauce, with Cheddar and grilled red onions. No option to add lettuce and tomato, and I enjoyed that. As my side I chose some sweet potato waffle fries.
For a change I actually asked for my burger to be medium rare, and it was so, to perfection. It's very filling though, so soon I had Gaspar eating the end of the burger. The sweet potato fries could've used less salt and I couldn't tell if the sweet sauce that came with my stuff was the steak sauce or dipping sauce for my fries, but otherwise, a really good burger.

To round up the night, and after stopping by a T-Mobile store to buy Gaspar a new phone, we decided to go to the movies again.
We saw Inception.

I can see why people are going crazy over it, and how it can be very polarizing. Although it has crazy great action and amazing scenes, it fails to capture the audience that the Matrix caught - and I very much think that Inception and the Matrix are in the same boat. The movie could've done with some trimming - I don't want to give the plot away for someone that hasn't seen it, but I think everyone knows that it's about dreams, and pushing people through their dreams, stealing knowledge through their dreams, being caught in the dreamworld. The metaphors here can seem a little endless, and I imagine that there's already someone composing a book of essays in regards to the movie.

The reason why I think it fails where the Matrix triumphed was because the Matrix, although it held a very complicated series of metaphors and metaphysical questions, just as Inception did, kept it as simple as one could. These are the bad guys, these are the good guys, this is the goal. Although I applaud that Inception kept it murky, it's this complication that will keep your average movie goer from relating to the movie, thus being able to understand the metaphors and ask themselves the metaphysical questions.

Talking about something without really saying much about it is hard. Kudos to you reviewers.

We left El Paso the morning after this. Surprisingly, not a bad town, but the company made a lot of difference.

No comments: