First day in El Paso. Well, what a day it was. First, we almost missed our flight TO El Paso, which was a morning adventure all in itself. Then, we realized that the town really is as "dead" as we thought it was gonna be. So, what to do in our "afternoon off"? We chose to go to the movies.
We timed it right so that we could do as much theater hopping as possible. I know, to think that I would willingly do that! How times have changed. How I have changed. If it helps any better I felt guilty everytime we did it. And then some. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
So we buy tickets to go see "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" and man, that movie is worth the price of admission. (Only $6.50! I almost fell down laughing.) Wait, I'm not giving it enough credit - the flick is fracking awesome. Run and watch it, right now, it's amazing. It's funny, it's wonderfully tongue in cheek, it's Michael Fracking Cera for goodness gracious. I don't want to give any of the plot away, except to say Scott Pilgrim must fight 7 evil exes to gain the love of a girl.
Afterwards we ran immediately to the theater next door to catch Vampires Suck. We hadn't watched the trailer, but satire, right? Nothing wrong with making fun of ourselves and our obsessions. Well, I was terribly glad we did NOT pay for that piece of junk because it was nauseatingly bad. I mean seriously. I felt bad for the lead because she obviously spent a lot of time imitating Kristen Stewart in Twilight and actually did a great job at it, but the thing was just horrible. I seriously am afraid for the state of the world, if the best we can do to satirize is to come up with this. Did they not watch Scary Movie? It's modeled after it and it's style, almost, but gone 100 times in the wrong direction. I doubt any of y'all were thinking of going to see this, but if you were, please don't. There, I've saved you at least 5 IQ points. In any case we walked out about 15 minutes into the movie because really? I value myself. And my time. And if I stayed in there I was going to throw up a little.
So we wanted to watch Inception afterwards, but that was in the other side of the theater and in an hour to boot, and God forbid we pay another $6.50 and so we walked next door to see The Expendables, which I actually was curious about. But not anymore. It was like a bad amalgamation of all the other Sylvester Stallone movies. (Except he left Rocky alone, to which: thanks.) And I was actually dissapointed, since reviews seemed favorable AND it's the number 1 movie in the country right now. Whatever. Lots of senseless killings, and new ways to gross you out/ make you go "whoa!" depending on where your IQ scale be. It WAS funny to see all this old action stars together though, specially since thanks to my dad I grew up watching their movies. If only Jean-Claude Van Damme could've made it for a showdown with Jet Li...
So we get out of the Expendables, kinda wishing we had the last two hours of our life back and after a bit of wandering around the theater searching for things, we go to the Walmart for some bag lunch goodness.
All in all, not a bad beginning to El Paso. But seriously, go see Scott Pilgrim.
No comments:
Post a Comment