Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Whip It

So, I'm attempting to cook and stuff. I was too involved to remember to take pictures while I cook. Next Time I suppose.

Menu consisted of Rice with green pigeon peas, eggplant in tomato sauce, a cabbage, avocado, and cucumber salad, and maduros. I had the lil boo buy some roasted chicken cause I didn't feel capable of tackling protein just yet.

Took me about an hour and forty five minutes. We did a rudimentary table set up, so that we could eat like proper adults at the table.

Lil Boo brought some white wine that did complement the meal very well. We lit some candles, turned off lights, and served ourselves. My plate:


I really like cabbage.

Not bad for a first try - after all I haven't "really" cooked since 2009, I think. The salad is hard to mess up and was nice. The Maduros were perfect, not too brown. What I was proudest of, though, was the eggplant - I'm an eggplant lover, and it came out delicious. Just the right spicy, with a strong garlic hint, and all nice and mushy. The one thing that I could've done better? the rice, or moro de gandules verdes.

I think I just got nervous and didn't think. It came out underseasoned mostly because when I was preparing the sofrito and the green pigeon peas, I was preparing for less rice. If I had worked on that measuring better, the rice would've been tastier.

Afterwards we retired to the living room to watch Whip It, finish off the wine and some presidentes, and have a bite of store bought Coffee Crumb Cake. Whip It was just as good as I remembered - better even, since I watched it this time in a happier atmosphere than when I watched it in the theaters. I have to say though, I was really dissappointed about the DVD's Extras - namely that there weren't any. What's up, Drew Barrymore? Why no behind the scenes!?

In any case, I have enough for leftovers for lunch, so not bad, eh? Thanks Lil Boo, for willingly being my guinea pig!

No comments: