Spent the morning chillin' with my cousins in Philly, where I bonded with my cousin Anthony over all the traveling and the hustlin' for Airline Miles. Not bad.
Former Times
We remember
pelas, and tricks our parents
played on us, punishments
and school days.
We remember
yaniqueques and how we
gleefully ate anything given to us
(if it was fried)
and how the dirty oil from
the corner chimichurri
made everything taste good.
We remember
summers together, and the time
I made Anthony afraid of spaghetti,
how he still won't eat pasta,
and how when we all moved to NY
for once living in the same town
we saw each other less.
I remember
years of hiding the self
and they accept that the self
wasn't so hidden after all
when I speak up my truth,
Mami and Tia a room away,
blissfully not understanding English.
We agree
there's no telling Abuela
I'm gay.
© Yazcaminante, 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment