Monday, April 25, 2011

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

The first of the "Harry Potter" book series, I read this for the first time back when the first movie came out, mostly because my kids wanted to watch it and I wanted to make sure I knew what it was about before I let them.

I don't know how many times I've read this by now - minimum 5 times for sure. Even though I know and remember most of what happens, it still is an enjoyable read. The funnest part is to recognize the little clues that J.K. Rowling may have not had her entire HP ouvre planned when she first published Sorcerer's Stone (Things like wizards performing magic without a wand), but usually what I realize most when I read is the amount of times the HP movie producers gave Ron's lines to Hermione.

The three main characters are very well fleshed out, and that's the main reason the series has always been awesome. I do have to say that Rowling can be very mean when referring to Harry's only remaining family, and there's something to be said about the fact that they're all fat or bony. Ron's mother, who is slightly overweight is described as plump instead. I enjoy the fact that Ron and Harry don't gravitate towards Hermione immediately, but that their friendship is earned - very true of a group of 11 year olds.

The shortest of the books, this is quite the easy read, and a great beginning to the series.

No comments: