Monday, April 25, 2011

April 11th

Pentecost
 
My first day cleansing
I leave the house with two
clear jugs, filled to the top
with chicken-broth like swimming inside.
"It's a Dominican Thing," Gaspar says
to my coworkers, who laugh
but wonder.
Each one holds 32 oz of water
8 tablespoons of lemon juice
8 tablespoons of maple syrup (grade b)
about a spoonful of cayenne pepper.
Each swallow is supposed to curb
hunger and cleanse me
of pounds of fat and the untold
impurities living inside me. 


It reminds me of prayer and of afternoons
with Mrs. White reminding me that the body
is the Temple
of the Holy Spirt
and to keep it clean meant more than
no tattoos or piercings. 


I'm stronger than my cravings
I think as I swallow,
knowing that if I were alone,
I'd be inhaling a Big Mac.
No way the Holy Spirit
can live here. 


©© Yazcaminante, 2011

No comments: