So an acquaintance of mine says that The Hunger Games is a ripoff from some other book. I decide to make that decision on my own. Enter Battle Royale.
Initially a movie in the late 90's, the story was so popular it was turned into a Manga and later novelized. When I began reading I had to take into account that I was reading a translation but let me say, that even after thinking about that, the writing sucks.
I mean it, like its really bad. I'm sure the movie is fast paced and entertaining, but "knowing what the characters are thinking" doesn't help this at all. Here's the premise: its the future, Japan has turned into a socialist republic with a dictator. In order to help "the military" the government has instituted a Program. Every year one random junior high class is chosen, and its 40 plus students are dropped off in an island where they must fight each other to the death, til there's only one standing.
So far, yes, somewhat familiarly to The Hunger Games. But also somewhat familiar to Gladiators, and thunderdome (two enter, one comes out!) Population knows about the Program, but anyone that dares speak out is killed.
What I couldn't stand about Battle Royale was that the dialogue, if it was following the movie word for word, does not work in a book. Not to mention that someone kept thinking that 15 year olds could only be preoccupied about their crushes. The bad girls all had prostituted themselves. The bad boy didn't have any feelings. It was just stereotype after stereotype - ten times worse than Twilight, if there's such a thing.
I read all the way through though, to make sure I got it all, and I'll admit the plot is somewhat clever. The writers attempted to make the story about something more than murder with their dialogue, hut I felt like i was being hit on the head or something.
All in all, Hunger Games was better. And even if the story is similar, HG took it and made it more than just spectacular ways to show teenagers killing each other. In any case, Joss Whedon already did the Vampire with a soul story. Does that mean no one else should?
No comments:
Post a Comment