Monday, September 12, 2011

Thursday Night In

After mucho planning Cesar and I eventually just decided to have dinner Thursday night. After work I took the train to Queens were I met up with him. He was already on his way to finishing dinner.

Cesar is a true entertainer, even when it's just a night in. We began the evening by having a delicious salad. It had figs, cucumbers, green peppers, strawberries, romaine lettuce, goat and blue cheese with a dressing of oil and balsamic vinagrette. He topped the salad with crumbled homemade rosemary bread.



We followed that with a main course that consisted of Fingerling potatoes smothered in extra virgin olive oil, garlic, onions, carrots and butter; fillet mignon, a veggie portion of chopped carrots, peas, corn and green beans, and some scallops.


I ate every bit of that, even the scallops which I did not really like, but I can now say that I've tried it. Everything was done to perfection, specially the fillet mignon and potatoes. I'm hungry again just by looking at that picture.

We finished the evening by watching "Win Win" on demand. A Paul Giamatti movie, the flick is about a lawyer in Jersey who does something unethical when his practice is running into trouble and his family is running out of money. But in the process he helps a young boy and eventually ends up helping his entire family and himself. It was a very subtle commentary on the times, showed a very level (under the circumstances) teenager, and a loving family that worked through their problems happily. The entire thing was well performed and you really fell in love with the teenage boy that throws Paul Giamatti's character and his family on its ear. I totally recommend. I also recommend driving down the highway with the radio on high, screaming a song (any song.) It's good for the soul.

No comments: