Monday, September 12, 2011

A Sunday with Mi Cariño

Sunday was a blast: low key but fun. We began by lazying about in bed, reading and what not before heading for brunch to Cafe Triskell. I had scrambled eggs with bacon, sausages, salad and red onions.


I did not really like it. I put as much stuff as I could in them eggs to stem the yuck feeling I knew I was going to get from them, but c'est la vie. Brunch took some time so it was well in the afternoon by the time we set out to do some shopping. Or mi Cariño shopped while I tried to not be a pain in the bum. Eventually, however, we made it to the city, where we watched "Circumstances."

The filmmakers described the movie as taboo busting, and that it was. Two young girls in Iran, best friends, lovers. One comes from an affluent family, is used to the little freedoms money can buy. The other is used to pain and oppression - her parents were professors, killed by the regime. The story really begins when Brother (I can't remember his name) comes to town, ostensibly after spending time in rehab. In an attempt to get his life together he repudiates what was once important (music, friends, drugs) and tries to become a better Muslim. Unfortunately, for him this means getting in cahoots with the Morality Police. This doesn't help his sister and friends at all though - soon enough Brother reports them to the Morality Police, and has no qualms with the fact that they'll check to see if his sister is a virgin. Several new things are found about the Brother, and Friend and Sister go through the hardest part of the film. There is no real happy ending, as these kinds of movies rarely will, but it was tough for us to watch. I think you have to be in the right set of mind to watch this film. We were glad we supported it, although we left the movie theater already thinking about what happy lesbian movie we'd watch once arrived back at her place. 


Before that though, we stopped at Patsy's to have some pizza and salad. I'd never been. It's a chain, I believe, but it doesn't feel like one. 




Before heading back to Astoria we stopped by Dylan's Candy Shop to look at the candy, but didn't get any. We finished the day by (partly in my case) watching "Saving Face," which is a happy ending, actually fun and loving romantic lesbian story. 

No comments: